Your smile is one of the things that is used to make a good impression on people. Nowadays, more and more people have turned to dental practitioners to help them improve their smiles.
While many have opted to get metal braces, there are people also looking for an alternative. This is where Invisalign comes in. Since many find metal braces to be a nuisance, the use of plastic aligners has been innovated. The thing with Invisalign is that it is removable, which is different from braces. If you are thinking of getting this in the near future, you should consider the following things before investing in these plastic aligners.
- It is not advisable for everybody – Most issues of your teeth, such as gaps, crooked teeth, and overlapping teeth can be treated by Invisalign. But some severe and complex cases would require longer treatment so it might be more advisable to do surgery or other treatments. It is better to get the opinion of a professional before you decide on what treatment to get.
- You can’t just remove it anytime you want – it is true that what makes this treatment attractive is that it is removable, but you need to know that you still need to wear them for at least 22 hours each day to make sure that it is successful. Don’t worry about how you look as many say that it is really barely noticeable compared to metal braces.
- There may be speech problems at the beginning – especially when you first get it, you might experience some lisping while talking. This may cause awkwardness in some social situations, but don’t let it discourage you. The more that you wear the plastic trays, the more you will get used to it and your speech will adjust accordingly.
- You need to be mindful of what you are drinking – while the plastic trays may be unnoticeable, you need to consider that your drink of choice may cause some staining to happen to your Invisalign. So dark colored drinks, like coffee, wine and tea will more than likely stain your plastic aligners. So you might need to limit your morning coffee and post-work wine drinking while wearing your Invisalign. Also, remember that these are again made of plastic, so drinking hot beverages may cause your aligners to distort in shape.
- They need regular cleaning – by regular, that would mean brushing your Invisalign probably more than five times a day, so you need to bring a toothbrush with you all the time. This is to prevent your teeth from cavities. Also, if you don’t want to embarrass yourself by having bad breath, you need to constantly brush and floss. It might seem like tedious work but it will be all worth it in the end. Check out this page for more tips on cleaning your Invisalign. Also, don’t forget to regularly check in with a professional. They can truly help you with the maintenance of your plastic aligners.