It’s never easy to live with pain. One of the most common pains experienced by individuals is back pain. Almost everyone, at some point in their lives, will experience back pain. There are many causes of back pain. It might be due to heavy lifting, bad posture, or overworked muscles.
It can be really uncomfortable dealing with back pain. Some will be in so much pain that they will have a hard time sleeping or going about their daily work. The good news is that there are ways to deal with back pain. Whether it’s to ease the discomfort or even to prevent the possibility of back pain, here are five tips you can try to win the war against back pain.
- Have a good posture – all those reprimands to stop slouching are actually beneficial for you. If you are a student or office worker who spends more than eight hours a day sitting at a desk, you will know just how much strain your back takes. Having bad posture will only worsen the state of your back. Make sure that your shoulders will be relaxed, your feet are flat on the floor and your back is against the chair. Use a lumbar pillow or a rolled towel against the chair to make it easier.
- Do easy exercises – gone are the days when all you need to ease back pain is to rest in bed all day. Professionals say that lying down all day can actually worsen your condition. After resting for a day or two, it’s best to do some exercises to relieve your pain. If you are not sure what to do, try gentle exercises like simple walking, swimming or yoga.
- Maintain a healthy weight – having extra weight will no doubt put a strain on your back. Make sure to exercise regularly and eat nutritious food so that you will be able to maintain the right weight for your height. Make sure that when you exercise and strengthen your core muscles which can actually prevent your back from getting injured.
- Apply hot and cold packs – if your back is inflamed, to reduce the swelling, use an ice pack. Wrap it in a towel and apply to your skin for around 15 minutes. To help your muscles relax, you can use a heating pad or even take a warm bath to help ease the pain.
- Invest in a good mattress – getting a good night’s sleep is a key to back relief. You can try different sleeping positions to find the one where you will have less sleeping disturbance. Or better yet, invest in a good mattress. New innovations have resulted in a memory mattress which is known for comfort and support which can help prevent and ease chronic back pain. Since there are too many products on the market, check out this review of the best memory mattress. The site has already detailed the information for each mattress and even listed down the pros and cons so that you will have an easier time deciding.
Back pain may be inevitable in our lifetime but that does not mean you have to live with it for a long time. Do the tips above and you will be able to be comfortable and free from chronic back pain.